Thursday, April 2, 2009

Ditch Bag

If you have been following along, I have really started to “Gear Up” and my living room is starting to look like an outfitting store, remember when I mentioned I’ve become addicted?

I won this little Swiss Army pack/bag at a golf tournament a couple of years ago and never knew what to use the thing for. Makes a great little ditch bag, small, very light, can store quite a bit and fits over my shoulder if I need to swim with it. It’s also small enough to fit behind the Kayak Seat for quick access. It’s made of nylon so while it isn’t waterproof, doesn’t absorb water and everything in it can get wet or is waterproofed.

Haven’t added some traditional “ditch bag items” like fishing hooks/line and clothes but good enough, I’m not in a remote region where I will end up being stranded for days. In addition to emergency items, also using it store things I need quick access to while out on water as I can’t get to the dry hatches. Dual purpose works for me.

This is what it looks like fully packed, the strobe and whistle attach to my PFD not the bag.


This is everything inside, lots of stuff but packs up nicely and only weights ~2-3 pounds

  • First Aid Kit
  • FireSteel
  • Waterproof Matches in Waterproof Case
  • Vaseline Cotton Balls
  • Signal Mirror
  • 50’ Rope
  • Pen Flares (3 flare, 2 Bear Bangers)
  • 4 Energy Bars
  • Spare Whistle
  • Leatherman Multi-Tool
  • LED Flashlight
  • LED Headband Light
  • Mini-Binoculars (8x21)
  • Tylenol
  • Tums
  • After-Bite
  • DEET Mosquito Spray
  • Sunscreen
  • Solarcaine
  • Lip Balm
  • Credit Card/Health Card/License/Bank Card/Money
  • Black Berry/Camera (in Water Proof Case)

No comments:

Post a Comment